Monday, April 5, 2010

It Comes Around

"Von Douche!" was the thought that came to mind. I had said something I regretted. I had acted in an insensitive and self important manner. I had been an ass.

It seemed that the daily acts of giving and reminders of the range of human experience India offered must have left an impression as I found I tended to give (a dollar, a smile or a fresh sandwich) to the people on the streets of New York City more freely than ever before. But back here, where I grew up, I feel a greater distance between myself and the "problems of the world" a distance that makes it hard to care. I feel it takes a little more effort to pull out of my own little world and look from an other's point of view.

Thankfully I have friends that do it for me! "Von Douche" was made popular, by a friend, as a toast to those instances where we let some words slip out of our mouth that signify just how much we are caught up in our own little world (a recent example; "What's the big deal!? - I was just chiming in on something that doesn't effect me." - Von Douche). All in good fun this little exercise has reminded me of the importance of a well placed, self, von douche in the ongoing process of creative destruction required to make any change with an awareness of its root. External experiences can only change us if we let them... maybe I am right in the middle of the world's "problems" after all
: )

With a little help from my friends,

James

A special thanks to Susan for starting the trend. And, because I can't help it, an unrelated plug for my friends; The Michael James Band - www.myspace.com/michaeljamesband

It seems I like doing this so I am (re) starting a blog; http://journeyintothestorm.blogspot.com

No comments: