Monday, April 12, 2010

Blue Sunday

Maybe it was the three days without much sleep. Maybe it was the three days without much food. Maybe it was the third day that I woke up on the wrong side of the bed. Whatever caused it I was in the darkest state of mind I had seen in a long time - I was Grumpy!
Now I don't exactly remember what I used to do when I woke up grumpy - I probably ignored it, I probably pulled myself out of bed and I probably bit off the head of the first person I ran into. Not this time. This Sunday, after I had managed to peel myself out of bed (or off the floor as the case may have been;) I found myself naturally reaching for the books I had picked up as a part of my yoga teacher training. After taking a moment to be thankful for such a conditioned response I started reading. Soon I landed on Patanjali's yoga sutra III.24 :

Maitryadisu balaani

Translation/Comentary by Ramamurti S. Mishra:
"As a result of samyama (concentration) on friendliness, compassion, etc. physical, mental and spiritual strength arises"
"Friendliness, compassion and complaisance are three great feelings. By feeling friendliness and fellowship for living beings who are in happiness, one discovers the mental and moral power of friendliness and fellowship. By feeling compassion for those who are in misery and suffering, one discovers the power of compassion. By feeling joy for those who are disposed to merit, one discovers the power of joy. By developing neither hate nor love for sinners, one cultivates the power of judgement and impartiality."

Once again I found myself counting my blessing and feeling especially fortunate to so often find myself in the company of the meritorious, joyous and happy (even if it does keep me out all day and all night). And such reflection always puts me in the right frame of mind to be more compassionate : )

Keep your mind on your riches,

James

No comments: