Wednesday, November 19, 2008

It's been sooo long

And a quick update is all that I have time for... I am in New Orleans now I have been busy training people how to organize, plan and run construction projects and helping to teach in an inner city school (still operating out of temporary facitlities) in the few days I have been here. The experience has been wonderful and I must say that the focus school systems put on standardized testing is down right criminal!!

We have been working with forth grade students, some cannot read or write, some are so bored that all they can do is make trouble and we are expected to help them with test taking techniques so pass the Leap exam, well - that's what the school social worker requested. At the direction of the teachers (who are experienced at working miricales DAILY) we ended up atually teaching math, english and social studies to small groups of kids- all in all it was a great experience and I learned a lot.

2 comments:

celina said...

WOW... have you ever experienced many different aspects on this journey of yours.

I am (personally) especially touched by the time you are spending with these school children. Just think... you may be planting seeds with these little ones that will affect the outcome of their adult lives. How neat is that? I hope you continue to enjoy your time contributing to their education. What a blessing!

Thank you for continuing to keep us posted in your everchanging schedule!

Alain Saffel said...

Sounds like quite an experience you're having down there James. Good to hear you're having some fun and doing good work. :)

It's amazing that the situations you're running in to are allowed to happen.

I wonder, what's next on your agenda?

As for me, things are going well here. I've been busy doing contract work. I've actually had to turn down some work! That's been pretty positive. :)