Sunday, October 12, 2008

And then... The Obama Office

It was a little scary making the walk to the Obama office on Tuesday, Oct. 7, I could not imagine anything that could top the previous weekend and I have to admit I was a little frightened of the unknown experiences soon to unravel.


As usually the fear was all for not - it is a good thing I never try to spend too much time worrying.


The first couple of days were a little slow - I spend most of my time researching the issues (and Obama's stance/message), making phone calls and canvassing door to door. I had a few off remarks that con not be repeated here in good taste and a few phones/doors slammed in my face - all experiences that helped to grow my confidence and approach the next interaction with more experience under my belt!!


Thursday brought the man himself, Senator Obama, into town and there was a rally in Ault Park. There is a lead team that organizes these events all over the country and my role was definitely small but crowd control for 10,000+ people was an experience - especially since this crowd was so well behaved!! - Everyone was tired from the miles walked to reach the park gates, frustrated with the lack of communication regarding what was allowed inside the event (no detachable lens cameras) and everyone still found the energy to be polite, courteous and happy.


It is amazing how much this campaign feels as though this is a proactive political movement which is very interesting to be involved with.


Picture: The podium on the morning of the event - the fog would burn off making for a beautiful afternoon speech

No comments: